Friday, February 1, 2013

The Following: Chapter Two Review

Alright, so I did a quick review of the pilot episode for this show, I didn't really feel the need for a full review, but now I'm here and I'm gonna do a full on review. Let's do this!

Spoilers follow (no pun intended)

Okay, so the Following came back this week with it's second episode. Episode 2 is usually where I step back and lower my expectations a bit; I don't why, but for me, episode 2 of new show's have, historically, been kinda... bad. And fortunately we were given an exception this week.

Just gonna start off by saying that they averted the "follower of the week" format, at least for this one, and I'm really glad they did. I was afraid it was gonna turn into another generic murder of the week cop show, only with FBI agents and HBO level violence (and I'm genuinely amazed that they've been able to get away with a TV-14 rating).

Anyway, so follower/lacky Jordy commits his first act this week, but that's not the point. It's more like a subplot that becomes relevant towards the end. The real point is the kidnapping of Carol's son Joey by the Follower 3 and Hardy and Co.'s investigation of it. They brought in this new girl in the investigation, replacing the one from last week, which is good because she's a lot more interesting. I'm not really sure what to make of her; at first she came off as this uptight FBI lady who didn't look like she wanted to be there or even address how serious the situation was, but then she goes all psycho-analysis on Carol at Emma's house and dissects him down to tee. She says that she specialized in cults, but she seems almost... euphoric about the whole thing. And she gives Carol that book at the end, further begging the incredibly obvious question that I won't even bother to state. I mean she could just be really into her work and is employing some alternative interrogation techniques... or she could a serial killer. It's a Cylon hunt!

And now for the other main point of the episode: fleshing out the supporting characters, AKA, the Follower 3. I'm just happy that the writers are going the extra mile to make the supporting cast relevant and interesting in general, but the story lines for the 3 was, at least in my opinion, the highlight of the episode. Emma's back story was not only interesting-yet-disturbing (that appears to be the show's MO, and I love it), but reinforces and explores the idea of who Carol's followers are: lonely, damaged people with some issues who get won over by this charismatic man who puts meaning into their lives. Emma and Jacob's little relationship hit all the right marks, and I really liked how it's basically making the third guy who's name escapes me (well aware of how unprofessional that is, you don't need to remind me) start to loose it. I use the term loose it loosely here, obviously, because these people are all quite thoroughly out of their minds; it's more like whatever illusions of mental structure he had are breaking down.

I'm glad they didn't give the kid too much screen time either. I get that he's important, even if I don't know what for, and I liked that Hardy actually said what I thought after watching the pilot: to them, Joey must be some sort Messianic son-of-God type figure, but still, I'm glad he wasn't being shoe-horned into every scene.

And last but not least is Hardy. I like his character so far, even though I feel like I'd care about him less then I would if he wasn't played by Kevin Bacon. And his shooting Jordy at the end of the episode was cool and it shows that he's making progress. But the best part of the episodes ending came with the needed sit-down with Carol. I loved how at first Carol thought everything/his novel is proceeding according to plan, you with that evil smirk on his face, and then that just got crushed when Hardy told him Jordy's still alive. The look on Carol's face when that happened... I can't even describe it; It's like Hardy just slapped him in the face is the best I can do. Makes you wonder just how much control he has, especially when maintaining the appearance of being in control is a huge part of his schtick.

A few side notes: mixed in with all this good were some annoyingly melodramatic moments, unnecessary screen time for Carol's wife who really only seems to be there to be in danger and cry, and a couple cheap scares. Also, if the episode's ending is anything to go by, looks like the man in the mask is getting the spotlight next week. Also also, I very much appreciated the playing of Massive Attack's Angel in the closing scenes (or at least what sounded like a cover of it).

Final Rating: 84%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks