Friday, March 8, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing Trailer Review

Okay, right now I could be talking about the Justice League movie rumors, or the new episode of Supernatural, or a million and five other movie and TV related things, but I don't care, I'm talking about this.

Alright, the first trailer for the Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing has hit the web. For those of you who don't know, it's a zero budget adaptation of the Shakespearean play of the same name that he made at his house over the course of twelve days while on vacation using only his favorite actors and the hand held cameras in black and white. And yes, I know its already been screened at every film festival in existence, alas, none of those are near where I live. It gets released theatrically in June, and I'm excited.

I will admit this is not my usual kind of movie, were it not made by Joss Whedon, I wouldn't have heard of it, I wouldn't care about it, and I wouldn't see it. But, if you've been reading this website long enough, you know that I'm a HUGE Whedon fan. And yes, I liked his work before he was mainstream, i.e., before the Avengers came out. And, since, Mr. Whedon is the director and screenwriter, I'm intrigued.

The trailer has this sweet music in it that really plays up the nefarious nature of the movie, and all the imagery really helps, and it just feels really out there and unique. When this comes out, it'll probably be my first real indie film experience. I saw Seven Psychopaths, but this will be the first real one.

Part of the fun for me was ID'ing all the regular Whedonverse actors in the trailer. I spotted Alexis Dennisoff and Amy Acker, obviously, but also Reed Diamond, Fran Kanz, Tom Lenk, Clark Gregg, Sean Maher, Emma Bates, and of course, Nathan Fillion. This will be the most Whedonverse-regular heavy work ever, even more so then Dollhouse or seasons 4-5 of Angel. Cue nerdgasm.

I should probably confess right now that I've never read/seen the actual play, probably should, we'll see how that turns out. Best case scenario this is Shakespeare mixed with Whedon's unique style of wit, flare, and irony, becoming one of the most hilarious film experiences of 2013. But there is that part of my brain telling me that this could just be a wicked self-indulgent uber-art house flick that'll bore the hell out of me. Fortunately, all the positive critical reception speaks against that, as does this excellent trailer. Can't wait till June.

So, Much Ado About Nothing, have you seen the trailer, what'd you think of it, and are you excited for it? Comment below, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks