Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Best Movies of 2012 Rant

Hey guys, today's my 16th birthday! Woo! Woo! No, I am not kidding, my birthday is January 1st.

Here we are again. I chose to get the bad out of the way first, so let's talk about the best movies I saw this year. Again, I didn't see enough movies to make this a full top ten list, mainly because I'm still not 17 and still can't see R-rated movies. Here's a little perspective; these are the R-rated movies I wanted to see this year but couldn't because of my age: The Grey, The Cabin in the Woods, 21 Jump Street, Prometheus, Ted, Dredd 3D, Looper, Argo, Seven Psychopaths, Cloud Atlas, Silver Linings Playbook, and Django Unchained. Okay, let's talk movies.

Alright, I'm going in chronological order here, and the first great I saw this year was Chronicle. I went into this movie expecting total crap. It was the middle of February, I was bored out of my mind, Apollo 18 had left me with negative association for found footage, the only reason I saw it was because nothing else looked better. So you can imagine my surprise when it was awesome. The three kids in this movie are all really good actors (I supposed that's why the kid who played Andrew is going to be Harry Osborne), and they were all really likable. Plus, I honestly can't think of another movie that went from feel-good to wicked dark that quickly and made it believable. Plus, the end fight was one of the best I've seen in a movie ever (imagine Superman vs General Zod sans '80s special effects). Here's hoping the sequel we've been hearing about doesn't get screwed over by FOX ('cause as you all know, once FOX realizes they've got something good, they just HAVE to mess it up) and that Josh Trank will succeed in making the Fantastic Four cool.



The next great movie I saw this year came out in May. That's right, I'm talking about the one, the only, the Avengers. Not only did this movie prove that a shared universe can work, but also that Marvel is company of the decade, and that Joss Whedon's talents are far from limited to television, finally giving him the mainstream recognition that he deserves (I would say that I've been waiting years for this to happen, but I've only been a fan of his since I first saw Firefly a year and a half ago). There's not a lot I can say about this now that I didn't say in my review and that you haven't heard already, so let's just say that I am eagerly anticipating Phase 2, starting with Iron Man 3 this April, and I can't wait to see what Whedon does with Ant Man.



Moving to July, prepare to be amazed. That's right, The Amazing Spider Man. Is this a wicked polarizing movie? Yes. But as someone who wasn't a fan of Sam Raimi's butchering-I mean treatment, of my favorite superhero/comic book character of all time, I'm just glad to see the web head done justice on the big screen. Here's hoping Sony and Disney can reach an agreement and get Andrew Garfield into the Avengers 2.



And now the moment you've all been waiting for: it's the Dark Knight Rises. Early this year I named The Dark Knight Trilogy as the greatest movie franchise of all time on my top ten movie franchises list, and before you go calling me a Nolan fanboy... you know what, go ahead, call me a Nolan fanboy; I'm a fan of quality storytelling, sue me. The caped crusader got a fantastic send off, complete with a great Bane, an even better Catwoman, and one hell of a Robin, and I'm happy about that. Did it have problems? Yes, but it was still probably the best movie I saw all year.



Into the fall, specifically the Skyfall. Incredibly lame pun aside, what many consider the Dark Knight of the Bond franchise was actually my introduction to Bond. And what an introduction it was. Daniel Craig's a badass, Javier Bardem's insane, and this movie was awesome. Taking a different look at the character, the movie perfectly combines the old with the new, and the result is great.



And later that month, we were given Lincoln. Spielberg proved that he's still got it, Daniel Day Lewis proves that he will win another Oscar, and for the first time I was able to watch a biopic that didn't bore me half to death. Not only that, but the dialogue, performances, and atmosphere were so compelling, that by the time I looked at my watch, two hours had flown by and I barely noticed. Honest Abe, I salute you.



And last but not least is the return to Middle Earth. I'll say this right now: I did not see this in48 frames per second, my theater only did 24, so maybe I liked it more then you did. And even if I did, don't act like the perfect acting, epic action, and *spoilers* Elijah Woods's cameo didn't make you love this movie even a little bit. You know it did, don't deny it.



So, those are my favorite movies of 2012. Be sure to leave your picks in the comment section below, and happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks