Tuesday, October 30, 2012

LucasFilm Bought By Disney, Star Wars 7 in 2015


Yeah, you just read that right. Disney has purchased LucasFilm Limited and all it's properties from George Lucas, including Star Wars. And before any of you go calling bull on me, this comes from straight from the source, Disney themselves. Seriously, google this, and you'll find Disney, along with about 12 sources confirming this exact information. But what does this mean, I mean really?

Well, aside from the fact that George Lucas's price for his own brainchild is $4 billion, it means a couple things. First, it means Disney now owns three major powerhouses in the entertainment world: Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm. In other words, they own The Avengers, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and about a million other things. It also means Lucas is a totally different person then he was 30 years ago, when he started LucasFilm to avoid big studios. Granted, he's made it pretty clear he's done making blockbuster movies, but still, I'm actually surprised by this.

And now for the real elephant in the room: Star Wars 7 in less than three years. Just for clarification, that means in 2015 we're gonna have the Avengers 2, the Justice League movie, and Star Wars in the same year. While that is a bit of an instant nerdgasm, I still have mixed feelings. It's not that they're short on material for a seventh movie, given the million and five expanded universe novels taking place post-ROTJ. Granted, I've only read two of 'em. I could just never see them as anything beyond well-written fan fiction. But that's my fear, that it'll feel like a fan fiction. Or that it'll just ruin the whole thing, because, at least in my mind, any franchise that goes beyond five movies is asking for trouble. I mean with Star Wars, I'll make an exception, but in general, four is risky, five is pushing it, beyond that... did any of you see Rocky 6?

On the other hand, Disney is likely to install a fresh face for the new movies, something that'd be a welcomed change. Plus, Joss Whedon works for Disney, and I know that this is really unlikely given how busy the guy is between Avengers 2, Doctor Horrible 2, SHIELD, Wastelanders, and insulting Mitt Romney, but it is possible, albeit, not probably, that he could direct Star Wars, in which case HFS! If we can live in a world where Whedon directs Star Wars and JJ Abrams Star Trek, I'm happy. Again, it's not likely, an experienced but available direct is much more likely, and again again, a fresh face is probably a good thing. Brad Bird sounds promising.

On top of all of this, part of me can't shake the feeling that we're all still clinging to Star Wars when we shouldn't be; It's there, we all love it, and it's always gonna be in the public mindset, but do you think MAYBE it might be time to start letting go? Do as the LOST fans do and learn to accept the fact that the story has ended? The idea that Star Wars has run it's course may sound like blasphemy to some, but I'm just considering things from all POV's, and that one is very much alive in my head.

Here's the beef you guys: Star Wars 7 is happening whether we like it or not. Even if I find out what direction they wanna go in for it and hate it, I'll almost definitely end up seeing it, too. But for the time being, I'll try to be optimistic. And for those of you saying I've gotta bad feeling about this, your lack faith disturbs me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks