Saturday, October 6, 2012

Supernatural: We Need to Talk About Kevin Review

Hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile, but last week was hell for me and just couldn't get around to it. But I'm back now, and while I'm not gonna be able to review every new episode from this week that I saw, I figured I should talk about at least one; specifically, the season 8 premier of Supernatural.

Spoilers follow.

After one year, Dean has somehow busted out of purgatory, and he brought a friend with him: a vampire named Benny. After finding Sam, the two argue a bit, and then realize they have to find Kevin, who Sam kind of abandoned.

All in all, this was a strong start to the season. Both the brothers have changed a bit: Dean is more of a battle hardened soldier then ever, while Sam is reverting back to civilianism a bit, as he gave up hunting in Dean's absence. Now he's got a girlfriend, and a dog. The altered dynamic was certainly interesting, and I liked the way the season appears to be shaping up.

Also a high not: Kevin. The kid's BAMF'd up a bit, destroying demons, tricking this years apparent Big Bad, the one and only Crowley, finding out that there's a way to permanently close the gates of hell, and saying the best line of the episode to his girlfriend: "There's a demon in you... and you're attending your safety school." I felt like he could lead to some cool story lines when he was introduced last season, and so far I'm right.

The flashbacks were great too, both Dean's plan to bust out of purgatory with Benny and Sam meeting his new lady friend. At the very least, watching the brothers argue is always fun. Not mention the Impala and some good old fashioned classic rock has made a triumphant return. Mark Shepard is always welcomed, and let's face it, Crowley's awesome.

SPN has a new showrunner this season, Jeremy Carver, who's promised a complex, multi-season arc that'll take the show through season 10, and so far so good. All in all, good episode, and a good start to what'll hopefully be a step-up from last season.

Final Rating: 88%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks