Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Lone Ranger Trailer Review

Alright, I haven't done a trailer review in awhile, so here we go.

Believe it or not, I only found out sort of recently about the Lone Ranger movie, and my reaction was "yeah, sounds like it could be cool." I haven't been like hugely anticipating it like I am with Man of Steel or Star Trek Into Darkness (and no, I don't plan on reviewing the three-frame clip from it they showed on Conan Thursday), but I will probably see it. And the trailer was good.

You start off seeing/hearing this monologue about trains and the power they're going to create, you have a lot of great visuals and western music, though you can't help but feel like it'll be a little stupid if the entire movie's conflict is driven by trains. And then you cut to the Lone Ranger (Armie Hammer) and Tonto (Johnny Depp). A lot of people didn't like that Depp was cast as Tonto instead of a Native American actor, but just so you know, Depp is 1/4 Native American. So yeah. My problem with that is that Depp will be so good as Tonto (which all know he will) that it'll overshadow the Lone Ranger himself and make it the Tonto show. Those fears aren't exactly subsided when out the two, Tonto has the only lines in the entire trailer, and Depp's name is mentioned first. The best we can hope for is a The Fighter-type thing, where they're both main characters, but Tonto wins the Oscar. Which, let's face it, he probably will, because he is gonna be awesome as Tonto. Am I making any sense right now?

In the end, I liked the trailer, I'm looking forward to the movie, I'm not gonna be hugely upset if it's more about Tonto then the Lone Ranger, but I'm sure someone will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks