Friday, June 22, 2012

Battlestar Galactica Season 2 Review

And for a brief, six year span in the last decade, the SyFy channel actually did in fact know what the hell they were doing.

Just a heads up, spoilers for season 1.

In A Nutshell:
So, season 2 picks up right where season 1 left off: Boomer's Cylon side was activated as she put two rounds in Adama's chest, Starbuck is on Caprica with Helo and other-Boomer, and Apollo is looking at mutiny charges. As all this goes down, the dynamic of the ship is changing, the search for Earth continues and gets some serious progress, political conspiracy occurs, and stuff gets blown up. The bottom line: (expletive removed) goes down. I actually can't talk about most of the plot too much without violating the whole no spoiler policy, which is a bit irritating.

The Good:
Pretty much everything, to be honest, and I'm totally serious. Everything gets amped up: the action, the drama, the intensity, the acting, the whole nine yards.

The story itself kicks all sorts of ass, it is compelling beyond belief, it's hard to describe. My favorite aspect of the story is the search for Earth, and the episodes that dealt with that specifically I was literally glued to my computer screen, muttering "OhGodohGodohGod..." under my breath quite a bit. Maybe I just find the religious aspects of the story the most interesting. The militaristic and political factors here are great, too, and they play off of each other perfectly. I hate politics, I honestly do, and yet I loved and was compelled by political conspiracies going on. Another thing is that it really does feel like genuine military drama. The whole feel of it just screams navy battleship, and I thought that really helped.

The characters and acting are really enhanced this season as well. The characters just feel more real than ever. Everybody gets a chance to shine, and new layers are constantly being added to the whole crew without having anyone contradict themselves, and nobody gets sold short. Seriously, even Billy gets his fifteen minutes of fame. The acting is incredible; all of these actors completely own their parts, giving great performance time after time, especially when an episodes centers around them and they just blow you away.

I feel like I don't even need to mention this, but the way the music connects and enhances scenes is perfect.

They do another cliffhanger ending this season, and I can't say much, but when/if you watch it, there is no way you aren't gonna say "oh frack..."

The Bad:
Okay, not every episode was completely up to par with each other, and there were a few moments where I was slightly less interested then usual, but all the episodes are at least good, if not great. Beyond that, I got nothing.

Final Rating: 100%


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks