Thursday, June 14, 2012

LOST Season 1 Review

It is time. For me, it was only a matter of time before this fandom sucked me. Now it has, and I'm very glad. That's right, I'm reviewing the first season of LOST, arguably the biggest cult series of all time.

The first season of LOST aired from 2004-2005 and was comprised of 25 total episodes. It was on ABC and is the only thing that gives the network any credibility.

No spoilers, don't worry.

In A Nutshell:
An Oceanic flight from Australia to LA crashes on a strange, uncharted island in the south pacific. The 48 survivors struggle to survive while dealing with other... strange entities, shall we say? There would always be one or more main plots on the island in an episode, while flashbacks would develope a specific character by showing their backstory, revealing their secrets, and other what-have-you's. Believe it or not, the first couple of episodes were primarily standalone stories. Yes, you read that correctly. About eight episodes in, however, stuff really starts going down and a more serialized format is used. Also at the same time, an episode would often contribute something to the show's overall mythology and thereby further asking the question of what the hell is actually going on.

The Good:
Quite a bit of good stuff is on the table here, friends. The show's very first scene starts off with you thinking "wait what?" and then gets very intense as establishes what just happened.

The plot of the season itself is, well, awesome. It's intriguing, compelling, all that good stuff. The standalone stories do a good of providing set up for what's happening, and the flashbacks do a great job of developing the characters and spilling their dirty secrets. Believe me, everyone on this island has some skeletons in their closets. Most messed up back story goes to Boone. Not necessarily the best one, that's probably Locke's, but Boone's really got me.

The characters themselves feel, act, and talk like actual human beings (always a good thing) and really help to drive the show. Simply put: richness of character is in abundance.

As for the mythology and overarching mysteries, where do I begin? Granted, I had some of the answers going into this, but I still get shocked. At their best, the mythos and twists are going to make you switch from scratching your head to dropping your jaw in an instant. Let me put it this way: imagine having all of your views on reality set on fire, brought back from the dead from the ashes, perform plastic surgery on, and beaten half to death! Can you imagine that? Good, now you've got a very rough, very vague understanding of what certain moments of this show did to my head. That's the best I can do to describe it.

 I can't actually give hints as to just what does this, as that would violate the no spoilers agreement above, but I can tell you that some of the moments are implications that get you thinking, and others are statements/events that you didn't see coming. And sometimes they serve as metaphors for humanity, ideal, and other stuff I can't even begin to describe.

This good this is gonna sound like overkill, I know, but another thing was the use of music on this show could not be more perfect and really contributes to making certain moments what they are.

Obviously, there was a cliffhanger ending to the season, always a welcomed move.

The Bad:
To be totally honest, I got nothing. Okay fine, I've one gripe. One. And it's little. There are one or two moments early on in the show where I just thought "okay, can we get on with the plot already". Those were rare moments, I promise, and it's totally the result of going into something that starts off fairly procedural but you expect to instantly become the ultimate serial just because of it's reputation. But those don't usually happen, I promise. Other than that, no gripes.

Final Rating: 99%

So, have you seen the first season of LOST? Have you seen any of it? What did you think of it? Comment below, let me know. Or just leave a comment. That would be great too.

And of course, be sure to subscribe, check out my others posts, all that good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks