Monday, June 18, 2012

Episode Reviewed: Continuum: Matter of Time

I've come to the conclusion that the Continuum writers, like myself, really suck at titles.

In A Nutshell:
Scientist gets offed, Kiera and Co. investigate, yada yada, and at the same time Liber8 leader whose last name I can't really spell ends up in 2012. Meanwhile, Kellog is living the high life. It's all relevant somehow.

The Good:
I don't really know how I feel about this episode. It's kind of a mixed feelings thing, I guess. You've got some good character development for Kiera, which was needed, and they did some mythology stuff to make this all sort of relevant. Liber8's leader showing up was easily the best part of the episode; it was cool when he did, they had some nice sequences with him, and he helped give us some hints as to where the story is going, and I can see some great plot lines stemming from him. The actual core beliefs of Liber8 are starting to be explained more, and that was good and needed just to prevent them from becoming a rebels without a cause.

The Bad:
The writers were clearly trying to make the main plot of the episode tie into the overall story somehow, and they sort of did, but felt really tacked on. For the most part, this was kind of random murder of the week story. I'm not gonna freak out because they did one of those, but I really hope it doesn't become a pattern. Also, the scenes with Kellog felt a bit unneeded. It'll probably become relevant in episodes to come, but if it does not, then it means the writers not-so-cleverly filled in space for a story that wasn't meant to support and episode. There was also a lack of action that left me perplexed. A definite step-down from last week.

Final Rating: 83%



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks