Monday, July 2, 2012

Episode Reviewed: Falling Skies: Young Bloods

Young Tears might have been more appropriate...


In A Nutshell:
After getting their bikes stolen (nice work there, gents), Hal and Ben run into a bunch of kids holed up in a warehouse. And one of them is Weaver's daughter. Weaver's daughter?! Didn't he like commit manslaughter trying to save her life or something?! No, no, he has another daughter. And then a bunch of kids get nabbed by the Skitters, who, as it turns out, are holding them in some sort of Harness factory. Emotionally-heavy describes this one best.


The Good:
The harness factory scenes and the whole moment with Ben that I can't talk about without completely violating my own no spoilers policy was the high point of the episode for me personally. Let me put it this way: Ben snapped. Again. The bits with Matt at the beginning were cool, too. SOME of the emotional moments that made up the bulk of the episode were pretty good and interesting, and they did help to characterize Weaver a bit. The nods to Charleston and Jimmy (Ben: "Half of these people still think I killed Jimmy!"), and the confrontation between Hal and Ben was pretty interesting, too.


The Bad:
I'm not gonna lie, while some of the emotional moments were good, others felt... well, forced. Borderline shoved down our throats. Actually, one in particular honestly was shoved down our throats, mainly because it involved two characters we really don't care about all that much. I'm fine with a couple of heavy episodes in a row, but you have to make me care in order for it work. And that was problem; at times, I just didn't care. To be honest, there wasn't a whole lot going on in this episode. I think that, at this point, the show really needs to pick up the pace and amp up the action a bit like it did in the first two episodes. If you think I'm sounding shallow or something right now, just watch the episode and you'll get where I'm coming from. This episode honestly provides a potential season low.


Final Rating: 82%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks