Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fall Movie Preview

Alright, the Summer movie season is pretty much out the door at this point, so it's time to look ahead  in the movie-land. As usual, I'll only be dealing with the movies I plan seeing and covering. We'll go in order by month.

September

A quick note: a did think about including The Words here, but I'm never gonna be able to get anyone  I know to see it with me, and I'm not old and creepy enough to sit in a theater by myself, so it's kind of not an option, which is sad because september is pretty slim pickings this month.

Looper:
Release Date: September 27

Is there a lot of possibility for this to suck? Yes, but there's also plenty of possibility for the movie to do something with time travel that Hollywood has yet to do. And for that we need a solid story and some great performances, which director Rian Johnson and stars Joseph "Nightwing" Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, and Bruce Willis all seem to be promising. At the very least, this is the only really decent looking thing to come out in September. Not saying much, I know, but I'll still give it a go.

October

Cloud Atlas
Release Date: October 26

Once again, plenty of ways this could go, and here's hoping it'll go well. The premise is intriguing, the cast is great, and the trailer was kind of amazing. Not sure how well this will fair commercially, as it might not be the cup of tea for most mainstream moviegoers (then again, it's only combination is Paranormal Activity 4), and the Wachowskis haven't exactly been... consistent over the years, but who knows, Redemption Song might just be playing for them this October. I'm tad concerned about how long this will be, but I no matter what, I plan on seeing this.

November

Skyfall:
Release Date: November 9
It's Bond, 'nough said.

Red Dawn:
Release Date: November 21

Mindless action popcorn flick? Almost definitely, but November is usually just such a iffy month for me with movies that I think by Thanksgiving I'll be fine with shutting off my brain for some mindless all American badassery. Plus, it's got some good actors, such as Thor, Jeffery Dean Morgan, and Josh Hutcherson.

Rise of the Guardians:
Release Date: November 21

Alec Baldwin is the voice of Santa Clause, Captain Kirk (the new one, I mean) is Jack Frost. Need I say more? Okay, I will say more; this looks like a wonderfully, albeit weirdly, fun romp with one hell of a voice cast, and if it really comes down to it, I might see this over Red Dawn. Time will tell. Historically, I know I haven't been too nice with animations, but hey, better late then never.

December:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey:
Release Date: December 14

It's the Hobbit, man, of course I'm gonna see this. I've gotta feeling that this might just take the number spot on the top ten movies of 2012 list I'll end up doing. I mean seriously, you've got Bilbo Baggins being played by John Watson from Sherlock going on an adventure with Gandalf played by Magneto to retrieve the treasure stolen from him by the dragon Smaug played by Sherlock Holmes himself (and maybe Kahn, but that has yet to be confirmed...). Nerdgasm aside, this looks great. I have a slight hesitation now that I know the Hobbit will be a trilogy, because that could lead to it feeling disjointed or stretched out, but no matter, I can personally promise a review of this movie, and probably reviews for the other LOTR movies before it comes out.

All in all, September and October look to be pretty slim pickings as usual, November, of all months, looks like the most solid, and December has the Hobbit.

Thanks for reading, be sure to comment, subscribe, all that good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks