Saturday, May 5, 2012

Top 10 Worst Sci Fi/ Fantasy Shows

Awhile back I posted my choices for the top ten best sci fi and fantasy shows (which I intend to update and repost before the end of the year, click the link at the bottom to read it) so, I've decided to post this one too. It's pretty self explanatory, and I'm only doing show's I've seen, so if you think something is missing, please spare me the trolling. Let's get started.

10. Awake
This just premiered this year as part of NBC's "high concept" initiative, and I can honestly say that it's a terrible start to that plan. It centers around Detective Michael Britten, who, following a car crash, lives in 2 realities, one where his wife survived the crash and son didn't, and the other where it's the other way around. That sounds cool, and pilot was actually pretty good, but after that it quickly devolved into the latest in a long line of very formulaic, very repetitious, very tedious crime dramas with a twist. I want to like it, but the part of me that hates redundant cop shows (which is all of me) just can't.

9. The Prisoner (AMC version)
So, this was AMC's remake of the 1960s British miniseries. I love AMC, too. Between Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead, what's not to like? Oh, yeah, this show. It's about a man named 6, who finds himself in a mysterious village where everyone has numbers for names and no knowledge of the outside world's existence. He remembers the outside world, just not how he ended up in the village. This is a good concept, it was just done really badly, so poorly that no matter how much I wanted to get behind it, I just couldn't even with actors like Jim Caviezel and Ian McKellen.

8. Haven
This is another one of those shows that I want to like, I really do, and I did for parts of season 1, but then season 2 just kinda fell apart. SyFy's show based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid (which I note got bad reviews), Haven is about FBI agent Audrey Parker, who chases a killer to Haven, Maine. She has to stay awhile after getting some info regarding a woman who might be her mother. She joins up with the Haven PD, and they keep dealing with folks who can do weird stuff, called the Troubled. A lot of season 1 was kinda mediocre, but there were enough good moments to keep watching, and I was hoping season 2 would improve things. I was wrong. It just got really predictable and boring, and I and I quickly realized it wasn't worth my time.

7. Alcatraz
WHY JJ ABRAMS?! WHY?! Yep, I was, for the first time ever, upset by JJ Abrams. He created this, and I had high hopes, only to be sorely disappointed. So, in 1963, all the prisoners and guards on Alcatraz prison vanished, and in 2012, they start coming back, and a government task force starts tracking them down. It sounds good, but it got into this really annoying formula pretty quickly. The episodes just had these really bland stories that not only felt annoying, but clearly weren't meant to sustain a 45 minute episode and spent more time developing the villain of the week then the actual main characters. Dammit JJ!

6. No Ordinary Family
It is with great reluctance that I put this here. I actually thought this show about a family that gets super powers after surviving a plane crash was pretty good at first, until I realized that just about everything they were doing in terms of storytelling was a not-so-cleverly-disguised combo of "Stole this from Heroes" and "Stole this from Smallville" I think it got cancelled because the network was afraid they'd get sued.

5. Caprica
Prequel to BSG focusing on the creation of the Cylons. Sounds good, right? Wrong! I've never actually seen BSG so maybe some of this is lost on me, but the excessive melodrama and almost complete lack of action just made it feel like a prime time soap opera with a few walking chrome toasters. And it was really weird. Oh, and here's my favorite example of why I hate it: they spend the entire series developing a character who you think is Bill Adamas, but he really isn't! In fact, he has zero impact on BSG whatsoever! This show deserves to be here if only because it made me feel like I had just wasted an absurd amount of time.

4. The Event
NBC's answer to Lost, focusing on a government conspiracy involving aliens and an average guy who gets caught up in it actually started out really good. And then we got past episode 7, and it pretty much fell off a cliff. The show was good when it was complex and unpredictable. And there lies the problem: less than halfway through, it got incredibly predictable. And honestly all the characters were starting to get really annoying.

3. SyFy Original Movies
If you've ever watched the SyFy channel then you've seen some ads for these. So, instead of spending there resources developing new great shows or adding to the budget of there already existing good shows (cough cough, Warehouse 13), the SyFy channel has decided to spend their money making terrible TV movies with awful plots, awful acting, awful special effects, and a budget of $2 million each. The only thing I will say in favor of these is they're somehow better then the crappy reality shows the channel seems enamored with (That's right Ghost Hunters! I'm pointing at you!)

2. Terra Nova
The show is about people from a future where we've polluted the crap out of the Earth so they go back in time to dinosaur land to start a new life! It's a classic example of a show that starts off with a slick pilot episode and then proceeds to fall off a cliff into a pit of lava. The problem? Terrible stories that were predictable, corny, and filled with contrived character actions. The was given every chance to succeed too, and I high hopes for it; good time slot, good special effects, the bad guy from Avatar. What we didn't expect was crappy writing and even worse characters. Let me put it this way: it wasn't too long before the guns started look more plastic then they did before.

And now for number one. I would say that numbers one and two are interchangeable (they're both very bad) but Terra Nova at least had 1 good episode, something the show I put in first can't even say.

And the worst sci fi or fantasy show of all time is...

1. Land of the Lost
A couple of kids and there dad fall down a waterfall and end up in a weird alternate dimension full of clay dinosaurs, lizard-things called Sleestacks, and the missing link between man and ape. If you think the Will Ferrel movie of the same name was bad, you've never seen this. This was as corny as it gets. I am talking horrible acting, breath-takingly bad stories, and the worst special effects TV has ever borne witness to. Even Star Trek had better effects, an it was on ten years earlier. The bottom line: this is at number 1 because it really, really sucks.

Be sure to comment, subscribe, and check out my other posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks