Saturday, May 26, 2012

The 10 Commandments Of On Screen Reviews

So, if you've read any of my other posts, you may have gathered a few recurring themes in my reviews, lists, and rants. If you're wondering just how many of these recurring themes there are and what they are, I've compiled a list: the 10 Commandments of On Screen Reviews. And if this is the first of my posts you've ever read, then maybe this will tell you whether or not you'll like my little blog here.

1. Joss is Boss.
Once again, you've worked this much out if you've read my other posts. From Buffy to Angel to Firefly to Dollhouse to Doctor Horrible to the Avengers, Joss Whedon is a genius. One of the greatest screenwriters and directors of our time, Whedon has had the biggest affect on me as a writer, created some of my favorite shows of all time, is just flat out awesome, and his career seems to have yet to peak. Always remember, children, Joss is Boss

2. If Joss is boss, JJ is assistant manager.
JJ Abrams, the man who has brought us Lost, Fringe, and Alias, along with his upcoming show Revolution and phenomenal feature films Super 8, Star Trek, Mission: Impossible 3, and Cloverfield, is a genius. Arguably the master of serialized storytelling and a man who knows how to direct the crap out of an action scene, JJ Abrams is, in my book, second banana only to Mr. Whedon.

3. Serial>Procedural.
You may have worked this out from my Abrams-praising, but I love me a good serial drama. I'm a sucker for a good plot twist or cliffhanger, and I find a show that keeps you guessing much more compelling then one that resolves everything in 45 minutes and then resets itself for the next episode (i.e. cop shows) Some of my favorite serials include The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Buffy, Angel, Falling Skies, and the X Files, and I'm working through serial heavy-weights Lost, Smallville, and Battlestar Galactica right now.

4. Do not judge a TV show or film you have never actually seen.
It's pretty self-explanatory, really.

5. Michael Bay=Fail.
Two words: Transformers two. A few more words: Transformers 1 and 3, plus Pearl Harbor. Those were hours of my life that I'll never get back, and they were the result of a man who represents what is wrong with movies today.

6. MTV=Fail.
Do I actually need to explain this?

7. The BBC is awesome.
Between Doctor Who and Sherlock (two of my favorite shows), what's not to like?

8. AMC=Greatest cable channel.
They play some of my favorite movies and have one of my favorite shows in The Walking Dead, plus they have an upcoming show titled 99 Stories that sounds very intriguing. Basically, AMC rules!


9. I am not a movie-snob.
I'm not the type of critic who goes around saying movies haven't been good since 1939, 1979, or whatever. The bottom line, I tend to enjoy most movies I see. Some more then others, but I'm not some prick who has unreasonably high standards. Sure, I hate Michael Bay movies, and I think horror movies have gone down the tubes in the last decade, but the bottom line is I try to look for something I like in a movie I'm watching, which leads to me liking a lot of movies.

10. A show that goes past seven seasons runs the risk of jumping the shark.
It happened to the X Files. It happened to The Office. It happened to That 70s Show. After season seven, a show will often fall apart do to the loss of a major cast member or the writers simply running out of ideas. With the ones above, it was both! There are exceptions to the rule, sure, but those are just that: exceptions, not standards.

So, those are my blog's 10 commandments. Do you agree or disagree? Let me know in the comment section.

Be sure to comment, subscribe, check out my other posts, all that good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks