Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Movie Reviewed: The X Files I Want to Believe

I knew I had to do this review now on account of the Avengers comes out soon and if I post this review after that review, no one will care. Anyway, today I'm giving you my take on 2008's "The X Files I Want to Believe" the kinda polarizing film that called Mulder and Scully back in to action after six years.

In A Nutshell: So, the film is based on the hit TV series The X Files, which ran for 9 seasons on FOX. It takes place six years after the events of the series finale "The Truth" (Worst. Finale. Ever.) Scully is now a practicing doctor at a Catholic run hospital in Virginia, and, not surprisingly, Mulder is a recluse. Even less surprisingly, there still together, sharing a house outside of obvious detection. Meanwhile, FBI agent Monica Bannan is missing, and the search to find her is ongoing. Former priest Father Joe claims a psychic connection to her, saying he has visions of her from God telling her where she is, and a big part of the movie is debating whether this guy is for real or bogus. Because of the supernatural aspect to the case, the FBI brings Mulder in to help validate Father Joe, which brings Scully in by connection. This is basically an old fashion type of thriller, relying on the mystery and eerie cinematography rather than explosions, and at the same time it's also a character study, showing how Mulder and Scully have changed (and stayed the same) since we last saw them in an episode nobody actually watched, with faith being a major theme throughout.

The Good: Let me first say that I'm writing this as a fan of the show. Overall, I really liked the mystery going on here. I thought it was entertaining, compelling, and just a little bit eerie, and it kept me watching all the way through. As for the character study aspect, I thought it was really done, and the way the movie analyzes our favorite former federal agents helped us get to know them a little more and added a layer to the film. Plus, the way they both behave all these years and cases later is very believable. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are still great in these roles, and pretty much everyone one else here is doing some top notch acting. Chris Carter, the guy who created the show, directed and co-wrote it. Let me say this about the directing: it rocks. Seriously, Carter pulled out all the stops here and this directing was just amazing. They also bring back almost everyone from the show, even Skinner (not Dogget and Reyes, obviously, seeing how no one liked them)

The Bad: I get that this was a really polarizing movie, especially for fans of the show. That's mostly because instead of revisiting the alien mythology that spanned the series, they're just doing a really long monster of the week episode. It is a good monster of the week, but I think people who payed to see it (I didn't) felt ripped off. It also might be the lack of epicness that gets people, but the show as never about being epic. I actually found the old fashioned feel refreshing, and I'm someone who grew up on explosion-filled thrillers. I also think that while Skinner's appearance was kinda cool, it probably wasn't necessary. I don't really know what else to say beyond opinions vary.

The Bottom Line: Am I on board with the is movie? Yes. Is it the best thing the X Files has ever done? No, that's still "Little Green Men." Is it all that memorable as sci fi movies go? Probably not. But is it an enjoyable, self contained mystery? Yes, but I think whether or not you like it depends on who you usually are when it comes to movies. Do I want a third X Files movie? That'd be cool.

Final Rating: 85%


Be sure to comment, subscribe, and check out my other posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like, just no profanity or personal attacks